Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Goals? You Mean Like in Soccer?


It's that time, people.  You know what I mean.

You wake up on the morning of January 1st, look blearily into the mirror and think, "What am I doing with my life?" (or possibly, "What was that I was drinking?", but it amounts to the same thing)  I could take a moment to talk about the idiocy of staying up late and drinking the night before the new year is to begin, but I don't want to kick any of you who may still be hungover.

And let's be perfectly honest.  For a lot of us, 2010 pretty much... well... stank.

There are a lot of factors that made this past year a bit of a doozy--the economy being the major one, probably.  But we can find all sorts of things to blame for our lack of professional progress:  the industry, SAG, casting director workshops, the President, Congress, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, the banks, Dr. Phil.  Actually, that last one may be kinda true.  Dr. Phil has always seemed a little shifty to me.  Let's blame him!

The point is, the list is practically endless.

It's also typically missing the one thing that makes the most difference in our acting careers.  Us.

We have a lot more power and control than we like to believe when it comes to our success or lack thereof.  It's a lot easier to believe that something, or someone, is to blame for our present woes.  That means we don't have to take responsibility for our own lives.

So, what are we going to do about it?

We are going to set goals.  Tangible, attainable, measurable goals.

And then we are going to set about attaining them.

So, this Thursday, tune in to my radio show at 8 pm Pacific Standard Time so that we can talk about it!  In fact, go there right now to follow me, set a reminder for the next show, listen to past episodes, give me a favorite vote, mock my logo, you know... whatever floats your boat.  I'm going back to a 1/2 hour format, which won't give us quite as much time (bummer!).  So, if you want me to go back to the hour (or even longer...), there's a simple solution:  DONATE!  If every listener donated just one dollar a month, it would more than cover the cost of a longer show.

But even if you can't part with that greenback, join in for our conversation.  Better yet--call in!  I'd love to hear from you.  And a little shout out to @Calashi for co-hosting this last week (she was awesome!) and to @MichelleFH for calling in with a great marketing tip.

As always, if you're liking what I'm putting out in this blog, my Twitter stream and the radio show, it may just be time for you to experience the kind of training that I can do as your acting coach.  Sign up for my online classes or one-on-one sessions.  They are totally worth it!  There's a form you can fill out at the top of the blog here, or for more info you can email me at actingwithoutthedrama (at) gmail (dot) com.

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog, Really am enjoyed to visit your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete