Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Move that Tushy



There's so much to talk about when we start discussing movement, that I almost don't know where to begin.  I guess the first place is to say that I, in times past, have been a movement hater.  Yep.  Movement was my all time least favorite class.

I know, I know.  I've shattered all sorts of illusions about myself with that statement.  That I'm this all-knowing acting guru.  That I was the perfect student myself.  That I'm an Adonis.

Please take a moment.  Your hysterical laughter should soon subside.

But here's the point:  moving through space as an actor is kinda important.  Getting comfortable in our own skin is kinda important.  Being healthy is kinda important.

And movement training (of any kind) does all that and more.

Whether it's yoga or fencing or Alexander technique or dance or Feldenkrais or Aikido, learning to use our bodies in an integrated way will do nothing but improve our strength, our stamina, our shape and even our presence.  There is an ease of movement that happens when we become accomplished at any of these disciplines.  That ease of movement is magnetic. 

Just think for a moment about Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace.  We're not going to talk about what the movie did to the Star Wars franchise.  We're just going to talk about the fluidity of motion that was Darth Maul.

Oh.  My.  Heavens.

I really have no idea if Ray Park, the martial artist who was the body of Darth Maul, can actually string two words together.  What I can tell you is that he was absolutely compelling to watch move.

A completely different example, but just as compelling in my mind, is John Malkovich in Dangerous Liasons.  He's not a particularly handsome fellow, but the grace with which he slinks through that film makes him thoroughly drool-worthy.  And I'm straight, fercryinoutloud!

Oh, and Ellen Barkin in The Big Easy.  Again, not so drop-dead gorgeous.  But WOW is she smokin' in that film.  She brought more heat than Cajun spices.

As I said, there's too much here.  Soooo, we're going to talk some more about it this Thursday at 8 pm Pacific Standard Time on my internet radio show, right here.  As always, I'd love for you to call or Skype in, but if you're feeling too shy, just @ me with any questions you might have on my Twitter stream, @Actingnodrama.  I'll be joined by Kristi Hatsell (@Kristi_Gail on Twitter), up-and-coming actress extraordinare.

And if all this information has got you champing at the bit to take classes, guess what?  I got 'em!  You can sign up at the top of this blog page, or for more info, email me at actingwithoutthedrama (at) gmail (dot) com!

No comments:

Post a Comment