Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Second "C"

Well, there is one thing that I think we can probably all agree on.  I talk too much.  *sigh*

My radio show was back this last week, and my plan was to talk about the three C's of acting, as well as possibly starting the conversation about conflict and objectives.

The best laid plans of mice and men, right?

I got as far as the first "C"--connection.  Now, in my defense, this is probably the most important and also least taught concept in acting, at least as far as my experience goes.  I've talked a lot about why I think this is, and if you're curious and missed last week's radio show, go listen to it here.

The second "C"--communication--is where we typically spend most of our time when training as actors.  Even in my classes, where the 1st "C" is given so much emphasis, most of the training surrounds this idea of communication.  The reason why is that with connection, we're either doing it or we're not.  We generally can tell whether or not we're connected to our partner with just a little bit of coaching.

With communication, we're delving deep into the craft or technique behind skillful acting.  True, connection typically takes care of most of our communication problems, but we're never 100% connected.  We need technique to smooth over the gaps.  We may get to the point where we're 99% connected, but that 1% of technique is still hugely important to make our performances grounded and stable.

During this week's (and possibly next week's... let's be honest) show, we will go more into depth about what's required of us in order to communicate with our partners and the audience.  As a brief spoiler, we need to be clear, active and specific.  I'll explain what that means this Thursday at 8 pm PST.  You can follow my radio show and set a reminder for the show by going here.  Please do, as it costs you nothing, but does quite a bit for me.  I would be sooooo grateful.  :)  Also, while you're at it, follow this blog if you don't already.

One final thing-- I have revamped the format of my online acting classes to make them more affordable.  You asked.  I listened.  You can now benefit from my expertise starting at $50 a month for my once a week classes.  That's one of the best deals out there (I've checked!) so take advantage while it's here!  If you want more info, email me at actingwithoutthedrama (at) gmail (dot) com.  Otherwise, sign up at the top of my blog here.

Have questions you want to ask me?  You can always @ or DM me on my Twitter stream, but I would LOVE to get comments on my blog here, so please leave your questions here!

No comments:

Post a Comment