Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shouting Ourselves out from the Rooftops



Time to talk about it once more, people.  Marketing.  Self-promotion.  Glad-handing.  Schmoozing.  The old razzle-dazzle.

Yes, we've discussed this before.  No, I don't have any plans to stop any time soon.

Because it's important.  I don't want anyone to misunderstand me.  I'm not saying it's more important than other things like, say, acting craft.  I'm just saying it's the one area that most actors neglect when they're pursuing an acting career.

Times have changed, people, and they're continuing to change almost as fast as we can keep up.  More and more I'm hearing about actors (especially VO artists) getting work from their interactions on Twitter and FaceBook.  Submissions are almost all online these days.  A working website is nearly as important as having a headshot, resume and reel.

We can blithely continue forward, hoping against hope that we'll be "discovered", but those days are largely past.  I'm not saying it can't happen.  I'm just saying that it's not incredibly likely.  And with as many actors as are out there, you will get lost in the shuffle if you're not putting your rowboat firmly in the shipping lanes.

In other words, shouting yourself from the rooftops.

So, we're going to be discussing it this Thursday at 8 pm PST on my radio show.  As per usual, Kristi Hatsell (@Kristi_Gail) will be there with me, putting in her more-than-two-cent's-worth.  So join in here, or better yet, call us!  The number's (424) 243-9619 or you can Skype from my blogtalkradio homepage while the show's live.  We would love to hear from you.

If, however, your voice is hoarse (because you didn't listen to last week's show, shame on you) or you're shy, or you have anti-social issues, @ me on the stream or leave a question as a comment here.  I'll answer your questions during the program.

Enjoying what we're doing here and on the show?  Then please help us to continue it by DONATING!  All this stuff is coming to you for free, but it takes time, energy and moolah to make happen, so donate here.  Even just a buck or two helps!

And, if you're looking to take your talent and your career up to the next echelon, join my online acting classes.  They're flexible, affordable and you can learn without leaving your house (or changing out of your pj's).  I would love to see you in class!  Sign up at the top of the page.  Let's get to it... there's acting to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment