Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm Too Old for This $#!+

No, this blog entry is not about Mel Gibson, so relax!

This is more about the character that Danny Glover played in all 25 (it was 25, wasn't it?) of those Lethal Weapon movies.  Roger Murtaugh.  So old.  So tired.  So close to retirement.

And each time, he gets dragged into all sorts of shenanigans by his slightly crazy (boy, if only we had known HOW crazy) partner.  There he is, running around, risking life and limb and saying repeatedly, "I'm too old for this $#!+"

And yet, each time, he does it.

These were the thoughts that went through my brain as I shot my latest commercial.  It was for a new product...a really kick-butt flashlight, and they had us running up hills, over vales and through rivers.  Yes, you read that right...THROUGH rivers.  And it was cold.  Like 35 degrees Farenheit cold.  And that's not an exaggeration like my earlier estimation of the number of Lethal Weapon films that have been made.

Basically, we spent two nights running wind sprints while soaking wet until about 3 or 4 in the morning.  In boots.  And short sleeves.  And snow.

Okay, there was no snow, but you get my point.  It was more than enough for me to think to myself, Seriously, I AM too old for this $#!+!

But here's the thing about both Murtaugh and me.  We do it anyway.  I can only speculate on what Murtaugh's reasons are, but I assume they're similar to mine.  We do it because we love it.

I've had easier shoots.  I've had warmer shoots.  I've had shoots with more comfortable shoes.  But I haven't had shoots that were more fun.

So, maybe I'm not too old.  Maybe I never will be.

I'll tell you one thing, though.  I'm going to make sure that I stay in better shape, because that next morning was NOT FUN!!

So, to benefit from the knowledge that I've gained through my own training and experience, take a second to go to the top of this blog and sign up for my online acting classes.  They are just $125 per month, and they are awesome!  I look forward to working with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment