Work one-on-one with Ben Hopkin

Private Sessions

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Putting Our Stuff Out There

Most actors laugh inwardly whenever someone says, "But you're an actor.  You don't know what it means to be shy!"  We may handle it in different ways than others, but there are a lot of shy performers out there.  I'm one of them.

So when it comes to self-promotion, we clam up.  We're fine when we have our lines given to us, but this is real life, gosh-darn-it.  "No one can expect me to know what to say or do.  I'm an actor, not a talker!"

This is a problem, seeing as how the business of acting really is a business.  We need to be our own marketing team, at least until we can afford to hire one.  And even then, they won't care about our careers nearly as much as we do.

What to do, what to do????

Well, I've come up with one idea to get us in the practice of putting our best foot (foots, feet... you get the idea) forward.  It's a brilliant, brilliant idea if-I-do-say-so-myself.  It is called (drum roll please) #HeadshotTuesday.  It's a wonderful way for us to help one another and to walk the walk, instead of just talking the talk.  You're probably on Twitter.  If not, get on.  No, seriously.  Right now.

I know, I know, I said it too.  140 characters?  That's just dumb.

Turns out, it's not.  It's one of the best marketing tools since they started hawking wares on the boob tube.  So get with it!  If you're already on, great.  All's you gotta do is upload your digital headshot to Twitpic.  Then post a tweet with the link and #HeadshotTuesday or #HSTues.  Every time you see #HeadshotTuesday, retweet it to your followers, then follow the link, look at the headshot(s), and leave your comments. 

You can tell them what "type" it seems like they are (in your opinion).  You can share with them what's working about their picture, or even what's not.  However, please remember to be kind.  We're seeking to help one another, not brutalize those that need that help the most.  Also, please don't leave lewd or offensive comments.  Yes, guys, I'm mostly talking to you!  Let's be honest, the women just don't do that very often.

Oh, I guess that brings up another point.  Please don't post inappropriate pictures, either.  There's some latitude here.  For some, having a sexy headshot is exactly what they want to use to promote themselves.  Use your best judgment.  Your best judgment. :)

Most of all, enjoy it!  Have fun!  We're putting our headshots out for the world to see, but in a relatively safe environment of mostly actors.  I've got lots of ideas about how to expand this if it goes well, but it's all about helping out our community of fellow artists.  We're a tribe.  Time we started acting that way, right?

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I don't have a formal headshot but will come up with something for tomorrow's HeadshotTuesday. Can I do my cartoon brand?
    Caroline
    SmartyPantsMama.com

    ReplyDelete